5.31.2006

It's a leeeeeeg!

I've never won a major award. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever really won anything. I guess I'm what you would call "unlucky" when it comes to those things - if you believe in that sort of thing of course. In fact, I remember a time back in high school that really drives this point home.

It was the night of prom. The big dance was over and everyone went to the local bowling ally for an after-prom party. Over the course of the evening they were drawing names and handing out door prizes. Everyone was winning something - everyone, that is, but me. They were giving away prizes every 10 minutes, and after about 2 hours of not winning anything, I finally complained. Finally my name was called, but only after I had them "rig" the outcome and deliberately choose my name from the bucket.

I felt kind of like Homer Simpson on "Employee of the Week Award" day. Everyone at the nuclear plant had won it except Homer. Company policy mandated that everyone win it at least once, so naturally they gave the "Employee of the Week Award" to the only remaining employee at the nuclear plant who had never won...the inanimate carbon rod - an obvious affront to Homer.

That's kind of how my luck goes. At least, that's the case about 99% of the time.

But there is that 1% of my life where things went my way. I call that 1% "Rebecca." Yes, permit me a moment of sappiness, but my wife Rebecca is my lone "major award." Regardless of all the "bad luck" I've had in life, with her I've hit a home run, and I didn't even have to rig the results.

So, Becca, thank you for being my very own sexy-provocative-leg-lamp. I love you.

8 Backtalk:

Blogger Idiealot quipped...

Wow. That was sappy at the end. Is this damage control after the other night at the China Bell? Seems pretty effective. You're becoming quite the spin doctor. Teddy Kennedy should look you up...heaven knows he'll need you soon enough...

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Sean,
I want you to know that I appreciated your "sappiness". I loved reading that I'm your "major award," and your sharing it with the world is so sweet!! I must say, however, I've never been referred to as a "sexy-provocative-leg-lamp" before. Who knows, maybe we have a new pet name in the makings. :)
I love you!

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

"I'll be wrapped around your finger..."

-The Police

11:18 AM  
Blogger Sean Scribner quipped...

Look, Jack, I can't help it if beneath the many thick layers of bitterness that shroud your soul in darkness there is no feeling or warmth in there, but at least try to understand. How foolish of you to suggest that I had to in any way make up for my comments the other night at dinner! I am almost offended by the notion. What do you take me for anyway? My comments this morning were from the heart and completely unprovoked. (Although it didn't hurt that I was also making up for being a jerk in the car this morning on the way to work....but you get the point.)

And Becca, glad to see you on here! Hope my reference to you as a "sexy-provocative-leg-lamp" wasn't offensive. At least I didn't call you a "sexy-hooker-leg-lamp" like I had originally typed...

11:18 AM  
Blogger Idiealot quipped...

LOL...nice

11:19 AM  
Blogger Jake Lee quipped...

One thing I've learned in my year (inconsistent)or so experience with blogging is that we can count on "sappiness" semiregularly from king of blogdom!

Although, married to a mississippian myself, I know it is well worth it!

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

That made me cry....and to think I just buy flowers. What kind of a husband am I?

Eric

9:46 AM  
Blogger Sean Scribner quipped...

LOL.

Eric, you're a great husband. In fact, I'm pretty sure that if I was a girl I would marry you! Or, even better, if we were both to move to the 51st state of the US, New Utah, I could both marry you AND retain my present marriage to Becca! That would be ideal.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home