7.21.2006

The Colonel let me down. Again.

On my way to NJ, I stopped at an Alabama KFC for lunch. Feeling a little wild, I opted for the Buffalo Snacker meal. Let's just say it took a while. I actually got to see the hen lay the egg, the chick to hatch, it grow to maturity, it die and become marinated with Buffalo sauce. Yes, it took that long. The service was so "good" at the particular KFC that I almost forgot I wasn't in Jackson. At least the sandwich was good. I tried not to wonder how much sweat Bubba the cook managed to swab into the Buffalo sauce. No pit hairs either!

I must say my dinner stop faired much better. What a difference a couple of hundred miles makes. At a Northern Tennessee Taco Bell, I actually got my food before I even had time to get my soda. Here's the cool part... the Taco Bell shared space with Krystal so I got to pick whether I wanted Coke or Pepsi. Sweeeeet! I ain't no Jeff Gordon supportin' lowlife so I picked the Coke, of course. Pepsi, the choice of a lame generation...

10 Backtalk:

Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Dear wandering boy, WOW! Isn't it wonderful
to be almost to your betrothed and as an added
bonus "Dunkin Donuts" and "Tim Hortins"!
Oh! How I long for "Yankee Land",well God
speed young man. I'll send you a CD of the
MS Chorus to ease your longing for "The
Best of the New South".Where's Stonewall
when you need Him?

Thinking in MS

8:23 AM  
Blogger Sean Scribner quipped...

Jack, I'm happy to hear that you made it to New Jersey safely. You're finally back home to the land of corruption and liberalism. Congrats! We miss you down here in the land of corruption and conservatism....and heat. Have a wonderful northern wedding. We'll be thinking about you down here over a ice cold 2 liter of Diet Pepsi.

Jeff Gordon FOREVER!!!


41 days 21h 47m 51s
41 days 21h 47m 50s
41 days 21h 47m 49s
41 days 21h 47m 48s...

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Dear Sean,Thought you be converted
to "Mountain Dew" by now.Tell Troy
Monday I received the package I was
waiting on, also the copper blew off
the Library Sat. night. I locked it
in the Library entrance.

GED 2.75

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

GED 2.75
Glad to hear you got the package. I saw the copper on my rounds Sat. night. I had better put it up fast before Gardner sees it. Have a great time in "Yankee Land". Try not to get crushed by a moose.

Troy

Sean - I think I am begining to like the colors blue and yellow - Michigan FOREVER!!! After all, they are the best the North has to offer.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Sean Scribner quipped...

Troy, I think you've spent too much time in that computer lab breathing in too many paint fumes. You had better sober up. I don't think I could work for a crazy man.

GED 2.75, take care of that baby boy of yours. He's fragile. Tell him that I now know where the fire extinguisher is and therefore I can put the server fire out a little more quickly next time it happens. Also, tell him I can actually see the floor of his office once more. You guys knew you hired me and pay me the big bucks for a reason...

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

I'm sure OSU will take 4 of the last 5 against "the best the North has to offer" anyday. Michigan's about as scarey as Freddy No Hang's 3 eyed catfish these days.

Michigan should secede from the union, join up w/ Canada, and focus on hockey.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Sean Scribner quipped...

Yeah, Sven, I hear ya. Meanwhile, the Buckeyes are as scary as Leonard Kipp's ICE PICK!!!

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Sean and Sven,
"will take 4 of the last 5"? Well, they had better take 4 of the next five. According to my research Michigan leads the rivalary with 57 victories while Ohio only has 38 (there have been 5 ties). Seem to me that if I were new to northern college football I would want to go with a proven winner such as Michigan.

Just a thought.

Troy

10:37 PM  
Blogger Sean Scribner quipped...

Tex Red,

Thank you for your enlightening yet relatively misleading observation.

Sure, anybody who looks at the overall numbers that you have presented would be lead to think that Michigan has absolutely dominated the rivalry with OSU. But there are some dirty little secrets in those numbers that you failed to consider.

Keep in mind that this rivalry was not the rivalry it is today until the 1960's and 70's "Bo vs. Woody" era. Prior to that period of time, the two teams were nothing like what they are today. While they began playing each other in 1897, that doesn't mean that they were two big powerhouse schools duking it out for the title every year. There were no evenly matched programs that early. Football was not an area of emphasis in those days, and it has taken decades for these schools to recognize the financial benefits to the institution that a healthy football program generates.

If you were to look at the record after the first 50 years you will start to see why your numbers are not very fair. By 1949 Michigan was leading the series 30 to 12. I think it's pretty obvious that these numbers tend to skew our perception of how evenly matched these two teams are. If we were to take away the first 50 years, the years prior to the Bo vs. Woody era and since, the record would be somewhere closer to 27 Michigan wins to 21 OSU wins. This is hardly the lopsided record you tried to cram down everybody's throat earlier.

But there is one more factor to consider. The 90's was a decade marked by tremendous success nationally for then coach John Cooper, but they were also marked by Cooper's seeming inability to beat the team up north. Cooper posted an unimpressive 2-10-1 record against the maze and blue, and it cost him his job, even though he had an overall record as OSU head coach of 111 Wins, 43 Losses, 4 Ties, .702 Winning Pct, and even though he helped establish OSU as one of the premier programs in America as the Buckeyes won at least ten games for four years straight. But in any case, if you take away those horrible Cooper years (in terms of the rivalry), now we're looking at a 17 to 19 record, giving OSU the edge.

Sure, we're playing with numbers, and ultimately the rivalry can go either way every year -- that's what makes it so exciting to watch. In fact, the rivalry is so popular it ranked number 1 among rivalries...and not just among college football rivalries, but among the top ten greatest sports rivalries of any sport of the 20th century by ESPN.

I know down in Texas you guys are feeling pretty good after last season. You strolled into Columbus in week 2 a were handed the game by our bumbling tight end who couldn't catch a cold. Then you went on to win the Big One against USC. Congratulations. Those wins were cute. But here's the thing: Texas didn't win all those games; Vince Young won all those games (except in the case of the OSU game, where the game was given to you even though OSU clearly dominated). But what about this year? The truth it, Texas is nothing without their flashy QB, and my prediction is that the Buckeyes are going to march into Austin this year and show you how a bunch of worthless nuts play some football in the Big Ten.

I'll give you the last word, at least until September 9th. We'll talk then.

P.S. Michigan had better be afraid, because Jim Tressel is the man. In addition to his sparkling 4-1 record against Michigan, in his five years at Ohio State, Tressel has led the Buckeyes to 50 wins, two Big Ten titles and a national championship, and during the past four years, Tressel's teams have won four bowl games, including three BCS contests, and finished in the top five three times. Chew on that like a longhorn chews its cud.

GO BUCKS!

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous quipped...

Sean,
Testy, testy, testy :) I will admit that it is one of the greastest rivaries of all times among any sport. Yet, the game we won in Columbus was not a give away game. In fact, we would have won by 7 more points if our freshman running back had not slowed down to a jog thinking he could walk in. Instead your defense stopped him on the one yard line (for which I commend them for not givning up on the play). So, it may have been a close game but it was not a give away game (nor was the USC game - how do you outplay someone and still get beat?)
As far as this year goes, I am already to conceed defeat when OSU comes to Austin. Texas is not the same team it was last year and I don't think it will be as good of a season for us. It will be interesting to see what this season holds across the board though.

Troy

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home